Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Who knew???




Last night at choir practice, we all split up into sectionals. They had all the sopranos stand in a circle and sing the same verse from High On a Mountain Top, over and over again. Like 20 times. As we sang, the director and our section leader walked around and listened to see which voices were 1st sopranos and 2nd sopranos. They would stand like a foot away from us with there ear right at our mouth. Very intimidating. I think they felt there were way too many 1st sopranos and we didn't blend well together. Anyways, in this choir I have been a 1st soprano, which always surprises me. In my heart, I'm an alto. I was sure after they listened to me, I would be bumped down to a 2nd. So I sang and sang, and they kept moving women to one side of the room. My side was getting smaller and smaller, but I kept singing, knowing they would grab me at any moment. And then it was over. Out of our original 20 1st sopranos, there are now 9, and I am one of them. I don't know why this floors me. I can hit the notes and everything, but I feel like I'm a big faker. I guess there is no denying it now. My name is Betsy Batman and I'm a 1st soprano!

4 comments:

Leigh said...

it's cuz our family has such amazing range. who do we thank for that?

Tanya Dow said...

you're funny!

Andreas V said...

Whohooo! Way to go Bets! Do you like singing first? Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. I often like doing second soprano. But sometimes I'm a diva and want to sing melody!

Choose The Wright said...

mezzos only get to play witches, bitches and boys

but an opera soprano has to go way higher than a mormon choir soprano

how fun there's a mormon choir in portland anyway

our RS prez drives to Washington,DC every Thursday to be in that choir I was in before Tad was born

I wish Harrisburg had one!