Friday, September 19, 2008

Getting Settled

So we did it. We own our very own house. And I love it. I love being able to be creative and decorate. I love that I can paint any wall I want and I don't have to ask permission. I love that we earned every square foot of this beautiful home.
It has been physically exhausting moving and getting unpacked. Most people would still be living in boxes, but I would go crazy doing that, so we are completely unpacked. Not a box in sight, except my box of shoes that are waiting for me to buy a shoe organizer.
We have had so much help getting set up. My mom has been here everyday and she is an amazing worker. She never stops and can unpack a box like you wouldn't believe. My girlfriends, Katie, Kathy and Tanya have been over helping me hang curtains and pictures. Kathy even gave me a house warming gift by sewing me new valances in the dining room and living room windows. Katie and I did a major "man" project by getting lighting above and below my kitchen cabinets. It was a little tricky figuring out what to do, but we armed ourselves with power tools and it looks amazing.
I wake up in the mornings excited to open all the blinds and make my bed so that it looks just right. My kids are acting the same way. I've never seen their rooms so clean. We still have a lot of things to buy to fill this house. Especially in the upstairs. A lot of bare walls, but I will fill them in time. The kids TV room has no furniture, but a TV. That is gonna drive me nuts waiting to buy a couch and computer desk to go in it, but I need to work on my patience. I'm not very good at it.
Andrew says he feels like he is visiting someones house, he still feels like it is unreal. I on the other hand feel very at home. I think it is because I am putting my stamp on the house. I feel like the house really reflex me, so I feel quite at home.
Here are some pictures of the downstairs.

Here is my pretty kitchen. See the lighting around the cabinetry? I did that!


The kitchen and butlers pantry

A view from the front door. The living and dining room.

The family room (forgive the x-box party).

More living and dining room.

The living room

A view from the kitchen to the front of the house.

Dining room

And more dining room. See the valance that Kathy made?

9 comments:

Brandon and Becca said...

It is looking so cute already! You would never guess you guys have only been there a week with all of your decorating. Congrats again! I can't wait to see it.

NicKim Family said...

What a beautiful home! You have done a great job decorating too - I love it! Welcome HOME!

Get Bent said...

You are amazing! WOw! I am so impessed how quickly everything came together. I might have to drop by one of these days to see it :). I can't wait for that creative freedom in my own home! Very nicely done! You guys deserve it. Brave woman to have that party though.

mom said...

The pictures are wonderful. Why don't you add one from the front showing the red door and sign. I love that.
I have loved this week of watching and helping with the transformation. It makes me want to get to work with projects at home.
Dad and I are so proud and happy for you both.

Andreas V said...

Wow, you did get right to it. I'm impressed. I like the fabric for the valances and tablecloth. Did you pick that out?

Daya said...

Your home is beautiful!!! I love your kitchen. I am so jealous!

Tanya Dow said...

I love everything you have done - it all looks so classy. I am so happy for you!!!

Kendra :-) said...

WOW Bets, it is just BEAUTIFUL! You are an amazing chick, to have a kid party and unpack EVERYTHING and decorate? I have been in my house 6 years and you already have your house more decorated!!! I am really proud of you and Andrew, it is such a great feeling to have your own little home. I will never forget that first day waking up in your own house, it is perfect! Everything is just beautiful!

L and T said...

Looks fab Betsy ! Way to go.
When can I come and visit?