Monday, July 28, 2008

Adventures At Girls Camp



I survived. 6 days and 5 night of camping with 12 girls. And I had a great time.
Our camp was so cute. We had berries pretty much anywhere we could staple them up. We we the cutest campsite there. One cute thing we did is put pictures of boys from magazines on the berries, and it was amazing to see how many girls would come through our campsite just to locate all the boys.
The morning before we left, I checked the weather forecast, and it called for low 80's all week. I made sure to pack a couple pair of jeans and sweatshirts cause it always gets chilly at night, but that is all I would need to keep warm. WRONG! Tuesday and Wednesday were freezing. Who knew I should have packed and hat, gloves and thermal underwear. I was talking to one of the gals who has come every year for the last 20 years, and she said this was the coldest it has ever been at girls camp. I had dreamed of spending the week on the lake, floating on a tube and getting tan. Boy was I wrong.
One of the girls we had was a fetal alcohol baby, and so she requires a lot more from the leaders. I was very nervous to have her, but we were told that she was to stay in a tent with her mom at our campsite. As soon as she arrived she heard about the tent situation and a major tantrum started. I explained to her that we were only doing what our leaders had told us to do, but I would be more than happy to take her to my leader and see what she says. In the end it was decided that she could sleep on the platform with the girls, but any problems and she would have to sleep with her mom in the Stake campsite. This turned out to be great. She got the opportunity to be with the girls, and we had the leverage to keep her from acting out. She was a pretty good girl the rest of the week.
I had a great time with the other two leaders with me. Katie was there, and of coarse, I loved that. We are a great team and I couldn't imagine doing it without her. The other leader we didn't really know prior to coming, and we were a little hesitant with having her. Katie and I have done this alone and we didn't really understand why they wanted a third leader, but we are obedient and made the best of it. We shouldn't of been hesitant. Jill is amazing, and I have made a great friend. She is my singing friend. You know how I break out in song whenever I am inspired? Well Jill is the same way. We would break out in the same song too many times to count. It was hilarious. I loved it. I think we were driving Katie nuts with all our singing, but we sure had fun. Jill is astonished that I don't know 7 Brides fro 7 Brothers. I can't believe she doesn't know Wicked. We both have some homework to do.
Girls camp is a lot of work, but such a great experience. It sure makes me feel younger. I laughed more this week then I had in a long time. I can't wait to go back.
Oh, I need to tell you about the last day. On our way home we come across all these fire trucks and ambulances, along with the bus that has all the girls. I can't tell you how I felt when I realized what I was looking at. I immediately got out and tried to find out what was going on. All of the girls were on the lawn and bawling. I look over and realize the bus had knocked down and fence and stop sign. I guess the brakes went out and the only way to stop was to aim for the fence or they would have ending up going over the ravine. Crazy. The girl we so scared, some a bit bruised up. There was nothing that we could do, so after hugging all the girls we headed home back to our own kids. Between us 3 leaders, there are 15 kids.
So there you have it. My week. I'm back and ready to get back to blogging.

6 comments:

Kendra :-) said...

Hey Betsy!!!

Sounds like so much fun! And the "BOYS N BERRIES" name, that is perfect, I love it!!!

Tanya Dow said...

Wow!! Sounds like you guys were busy. Welcome back!!!

NicKim Family said...

Oh my goodness - That just sounds like a blast!!! Too bad it got so cold - laying out on a lake getting a tan sure sounds nice!!

Leigh said...

you don't know Seven Brides for Seven Brothers? "Bless Your Beautiful Hide" is the greatest song ever. I have it on VHS. We must watch some time. Glad you had fun at camp.

Andreas V said...

Wow, that's a crazy story with the bus. Oh man. But it sounds like you had a good time. I'm just glad it wasn't me roughin' it. I never liked girls camp. Jenni and I always fought when we were there. I do remember Debbie Jensen being pretty fun.

Get Bent said...

That is scary about the bus. I am glad everyone is ok. That is hilarious that you put pictures of boys on the berries! How fun. Ahh, those were the days...girls camp. Maybe one day I will go back as a leader... I'd like to have seen the breaking out into song...!