Friday, October 31, 2008

Poor Sicky Gavin


The last 3 days, Gavin has run a fever off and on, and has not been as active as usual. It wasn't that big of deal, he still was good natured and was playing with the kids.
Well, this morning, things changed. I was giving him a bath when I noticed that his little chest was going in and out so much and fast. He was working so hard to breath. And his breathing was so loud and raspy.
So I immediately called the doc and got him in right away. When they first examined him, they thought his lungs sounded clear, but could hear how hard was breathing and could see how much he had to work at it, although his oxygen levels were great, almost 100%. They decided to give him a nebulizer treatment. Boy did he hate that. He screamed the entire time.
After the treatment, he didn't improve at all, so they told us to go and get x-rays of him. Have you ever had to get chest x-rays of a baby? It is terrible, and oddly funny. They set the baby in this little tube with their arms above their head and they are trapped like that. Think of Gustaf Club, in Willie Wonka, stuck in the chocolate tube, but with his arms above his head. Gavin screamed and screamed, he was so mad, and I felt so bad for him, but I was laughing too at how funny he looked. The x-ray tech said she's never had a mom laugh before. I said cause none of them have 5 kids. I've seen everything.
So after the doctor read the x-ray, she said that Gavin has pneumonia. Suck. But I guess it's viral, so no anti-biotics. He is doing a breathing treatment every 4 hours. The doctor said it could take a long time till he gets better. Poor guy.
So Gavin and I are home while Andrew has taken the other kids trick or treating. Luckily Gavin doesn't know what he's missing.

5 comments:

Brandon and Becca said...

Sad day for Gavin (and you having a sick baby). I'm glad you took a picture of him in the tube though. It is pretty funny....but still tough for your poor baby.

Leigh said...

seriously looking at him in that tube made me cry a little bit. So sad!

Get Bent said...

Get Well Soon Gavin! I never thought about how they take those xrays--poor Gavin. Kinda funny, I agree.

Matthias and Jenn said...

O I hope he gets better soon. I can totally see you laughing at your poor sick child enduring that torment. Hope he gets better.

Jill said...

Oh, my. I must say that picture in the tube made me laugh. We are hardened mothers, aren't we--12 kids between us we have to be! I hope he is doing better. Zack hated the nebulizer when he was sick a while back, too. I could only do it when he was asleep because he would freak out so much.